Tuesday, February 2, 2010

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Oy oy oy I wish I knew if we have chosen the right name for our film! I've gotten used to AUGUST TO JUNE, but we've gotten mixed reactions to it. For me, it has a lot going for it. It rolls very nicely off of my tongue. I like that many people will recognize that it refers to the school year, and yet it is vague and open ended. But a title is also an opportunity to say something about the content of your ideas. AUGUST TO JUNE doesn't address that at all. Should it? Well, for the record, I'm going to list all the other titles I've come up with, to see if any others rise to the top. If anyone reads this blog and wants to give me feedback, you can comment here, or write me at amylvalens@comcast.net or engage with me about it on AUGUST TO JUNE's facebook page!

Here's the current list. I've divided them into three categories, but many fit into more than one:

clearer message ones:
IN DEFENSE OF LEARNING
A VIBRANT PLACE OF LEARNING
To teach the whole child
instead of tests
No two the same
A small message of hope
Real school
whole children
Consider an alternative
What you can't measure
Learning beyond measure
Educating for joy
What we can teach
No bubbles to fill
Education As American as Apple Pie
learning all the time
The case for a meaningful education
see them learn
learning is messy
educating for democracy
TEACHING MATTERS
A TEACHING ROAD LESS TRAVELLED
A LESS TRAVELED ROAD TO LEARNING
GROWING WHOLE PEOPLE
UNCONVENTIONAL SCHOOLING
TEACHING WITHOUT A SCRIPT
UNSCRIPTED LEARNING
TO GET OUT OF THE BOX

poetic ones: (maybe subtitled: bringing life to school)
AUGUST TO JUNE
CHICKENS POETRY TEARS AND LEARNING
with their hands in the dirt
poems, portraits, and chickens
the inner life of a classroom
Poetry Chickens and Blob Tag
Loving School
Cus all birds sing
In the fullness of time
curiosity, creativity, and compassion
los grandes amores de muchos colores
A learning world
everybody in
HEART HEAD AND ALL THE REST
LET US SING OF CHILDHOOD
DOING SCHOOL

neutral descriptive ones:
a place of learning
these children, this place
our school, our lives
Reflections on a last year of teaching
A year in an open classroom
A year in a classroom
one class one year
26 plus
26 kids
a learning community
portrait of a classroom
We were 8, 9 & 10
Amy's last class

No comments:

Post a Comment