Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why an independent minded teacher wants to be part of a union

So engrossed have I been in
Teaching
I would never have had any idea about
the best ways to address an administrator who treated me unfairly
how to understand the complications of health care coverage
how to compare what I earned with that of others in similar situations

I would be on my own to
understand how complex issues affect my classroom
my students
and
explain to legislators the whys and hows
they don't seem to want to consider
when it is one voice speaking

and once
I boarded a yellow school bus
and put on the same yellow tee shirt
as a thousand other teachers
and stood in front of the capital
and knew
really knew
that
united we stand
is more than
an historic phrase

No comments:

Post a Comment